Midday snack: Energy Balls
Here’s a very easy way to make your own healthy snack that you can eat between meals if you get hungry.
The goal is to avoid junk food that is very delicious, but very bad for you because it’s loaded with sugar and bad carbs, and it makes you
Energy balls (or energy bites, or energy truffles), instead, are the perfect source of yumminess and energy during your work days (and fun days).
You can make yours in a few minutes. They don’t require cooking or baking, and they’re a lot of fun because you can mix and match the ingredients to your liking.
What I usually use is a base recipe and then I mix add-ons to change the flavors.
- 1 & 1/2 cups of oat bran. You can buy it at grocery stores, and my favorite brand is Bob’s
RedMill. As an alternative, you can buy their gluten-free oats. These are high in fiber and good for you!
- 1/2 cup of nut butter. I make my own with mixed nuts like almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, Brazilian nuts, and cashews in the food processor, but you can buy pre-made ones. Make sure there’s no added salt
- 1/3 cup of some sticky stuff to keep the balls together. I use dates even though they’re a little too sugary for me. Others use maple syrup but, again, it can be very sweet, or honey. Just use a small quantity. The good thing is that these are all natural sugars 🙂
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds or ground flax seed
- Grated ginger
- Cacao powder or cocoa nibs (unsweetened, please!)
- Shredded coconut
- Ground cinnamon
- Cayenne pepper
- … and anything that will add taste!
As you can see, the possibilities are endless 🙂
Mix all your favorite ingredients in a food processor, or just mix with your hands.
Take a scoop of the dough (you can use an ice cream scoop) you get and make balls of about 1 inch in diameter by shaping them with your hands.
You can store them in your fridge for about 1-2 weeks or keep them in the freezer for about 3 months.
Let me know how you made your energy balls! Share your comments below
As a Holistic Precision Life Coach and creator of the Life-Work Balance System, I empower ambitious professionals and high achievers like you to optimize themselves and unlock their full potential, fostering enhanced well-being and productivity in their lives and careers. I combine innovative methodologies (epigenetics, neuroscience, chronobiology, and positive psychology) to facilitate profound lifestyle transformations.