Time for better mental health and well-being in the workplace
I am on a mission to change the way America works. Are you with me?
I’m glad to see things are finally changing. Last week, the U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy issued the Framework for Workplace Mental Health and Well-Being. I was pleasantly impressed by the thoroughly researched and evidence-supported guidance outlining policies and practices to reshape the roles and responsibilities of employers. I think these are important more than ever in our modern society to support the health and well-being of employees while satisfying their human needs.
We tend to separate work from life, but work is part of our daily life, and it can impact our physical, mental, and emotional health. We are human beings before everything, not human doings. Therefore, those employers who support the needs of their employees will see better productivity, performance, and satisfaction, and their companies will benefit as a result.
The guidance lists the following Five Essentials:
- Protection from Harm (providing safety and security, not only related to physical harm and injury but also psychological including discrimination, bullying, and harassment, as well as financial and job security)
- Connection & Community (this means creating positive social interactions and relationships where employees can feel accepted, and a sense of belonging that allows for better retention and productivity)
- Work-life Harmony (offering the ability to have more autonomy and flexibility for a better balance between personal and professional roles)
- Mattering at Work (this includes dignity as being respected and valued, encouraging employees’ engagement, and focusing on fair compensation and no unpaid overwork to allow them to live a better life and reduce stress levels)
- Opportunity for Growth (creating more opportunities to learn and develop their talents and skills, and advance their careers, as well as to accomplish their goals thanks to training and mentoring. Workers become more optimistic and more enthusiastic about contributing to the organization, leading to a sense of accomplishment)
As the page states:
“The Surgeon General’s Framework for Workplace Mental Health and Well-Being emphasizes the connection between the well-being of workers and the health of organizations. It offers a foundation and resources that can be used by workplaces of any size, across any industry. Sustainable change must be driven by committed leaders in continuous collaboration with the valued workers who power each workplace. The most important asset in any organization is its people. By choosing to center their voices, we can ensure that everyone has a platform to thrive.”
It seems like a difficult or overwhelming thing to do but creating a safe and healthy workplace is needed to provide a place where employees can finally feel accepted, appreciated, and valued.
After working with hundreds of clients who had to re-evaluate their priorities because of a demanding job and put themselves at the center to regain control, focus, and their health, I am now on a mission to change the way America works. I am currently offering educational sessions, workshops, programs, and challenges designed for the corporate world, all focused on life-work balance. If you’d like to bring your team, office, or company in a new direction, let’s connect to discuss your challenges and needs, and I’ll customize a program that is best for you.
As a Holistic Precision Life Coach and creator of the Life-Work Balance System, I empower ambitious professionals and high achievers like you to optimize themselves and unlock their full potential, fostering enhanced well-being and productivity in their lives and careers. I combine innovative methodologies (epigenetics, neuroscience, chronobiology, and positive psychology) to facilitate profound lifestyle transformations.